It’s Time to Honor the Past and Face the Future
You are here, in this moment, because some brave representational artists resisted the pressures of conformity.
For several decades in the mid- to late 20th century, they faced ridicule and had trouble selling their work in a world enamored with modernism. These women and men refused to follow the money, to give in to pressure from people who accused them of living in the past.
They knew that their methods, passed down from generation to generation, were hanging on by a thread; if not protected and passed along, the knowledge and achievements of thousands of historical artists would be lost forever.
These lone voices knew that modernism would ultimately lose its shine, that collectors would finally see the emperor wore no clothes — that little skill was required to create the art currently in fashion.
Gradually, pale rays of light broke through the clouds as a few younger students began embracing this unpopular art. They, too, risked mockery, but as they pursued their passions, more youngsters got on board. Following their training, they too became teachers and influenced even more young people.
When we started Fine Art Connoisseur 12 years ago, we knew of fewer than 10 places where one could learn these realistic techniques.
Realism almost died.
It survived only because of a few very strong-willed artists who were willing to keep it alive in spite of being outcasts in the modern art world.
Now we have got ourselves a movement: There are more world-class representational artists alive today than at any time in history.
A Critical Time in the History of Representational Art and Realism
Today, we are announcing…
The World’s Second Figurative Art Convention & Expo (FACE), to Be Held at the Biltmore Hotel in Miami, Florida, November 7-10, 2018
The dream of the representational art movement’s moving to the next step has become a reality.
The convention will focus on the cornerstones of our beliefs … to educate, to inspire, and to engage artists in a community. Further, it will become a major driver in seeing the art world embrace various forms of realism again.
We are modeling the FACE event after our popular Plein Air Convention:
- Like our Plein Air Convention, this gathering will be focused around an important art movement and have a serious mission to help artists elevate their painting skills.
- Like our Plein Air Convention, this event will be fun, vibrant, friendly, entertaining, and upbeat. Not stuffy. Not political. Not exclusionary.
- The content will be mostly about figurative art … drawing and painting the human figure and the human head. We will offer extensive painting demonstrations as well as engaging speakers.
- The conference will focus on museum-quality art and will not address the world of commissioned portraits, which is a completely different area and well-covered elsewhere.
- The conference provides an opportunity to be hands-on. We’re setting up models and studios, which attendees can access to practice what they have just learned. (Additional fee required. Click here for further details).
- Much like field painters at the Plein Air Convention, we will appoint “studio mentors” — well-known, accomplished artists — to work with people who are drawing or painting from live models, offering help and critiques. (Additional fee required. Click here for further details).
- We will also focus on how we collaborate to grow as a unified force to educate and inspire collectors.
- We’ll have an Expo Hall filled with relevant vendors offering discounts on art materials. You can buy direct from each vendor.
- It will be a non-political environment. No awards competition, no nepotism, no “old boys’ club.”
- We’ll work hard and play hard. We’ll learn and grow together, and we will unify the “players” in the realism movement.
- Most important, it is your own conference, dedicated to various forms of realism in the areas of the figure and museum-quality portraiture.
World-Class Artists Announced as Faculty
You’ll have an opportunity to learn from some of the top museum-quality figurative artists in the world and some of the top minds in the art and museum world. You’ll meet and talk with people you’ve only heard and read about.
The names of our 2018 faculty have been posted at https://figurativeartconvention.com/faculty/. More will be posted soon!
A Special Pre-Convention Course for Fine-Tuning In-Depth Skills
FACE will offer an optional pre-convention course that will allow you to go in-depth with top artist Casey Baugh.
Planting a Flag in the Middle of the Modern World
Miami has become one of the most important art towns in America as home to Art Basel. We selected Miami because we want to send the signal that realism is just as cutting-edge, and very much a part of the contemporary art movement. We selected the Biltmore because it is a thriving, classically designed hotel in a modern world — a metaphor showing that strong realistic work can thrive, too.
Plus Miami offers a chance to escape chilly fall weather. The Biltmore offers the largest and most beautiful pool in Miami. Add an extra couple of days to escape the cold and work on your tan.
Studio and Model Use
We will provide a studio space and models on model stands for those who wish to paint on the property. Studio space will need to be reserved at the time of convention registration, as space is limited. Your Studio Pass fee will cover access to the studio for the entire conference and access to the models during the times they are available, late afternoons and evenings. Some models will not be clothed, and only adults with studio passes will be allowed into the studios out of respect to the models. See details.
Artists must provide their own easels and easel lights. Some room lighting will be available, and models will be lit. Studio mentors will be available to work with you, make suggestions, and offer critiques. No photography or video, please. Studio and model access requires a Studio Pass for the duration of the convention. Passes are sold on first-come, first-served basis and limited based on space and model availability.
Let’s Not Forget the Importance of Sculpture
Sculpture is an important part of the realism movement and is–of course–intimately linked to painting through its concerns with design, composition, form, and space. We are collaborating with regional members of the National Sculpture Society to provide demonstrations of their artistry. Details coming soon.
Why Your Attendance Is Important
You are part of the movement, and the fraternity of artists, galleries, and schools in this movement. We will be able to share strategies about your role in building the movement to see that it has a solid future and is embraced by the buying public. You’ll not only get a grasp of your role and how you play it, you’ll learn from top artists, who will share ideas and techniques that have made them some of the world’s best-selling and most collected artists. You’ll not only improve your skills as an artist, you’ll meet and share time with the icons of painting and grow as an artist.
Why You Need to Book Your Seat Now
Do the math. There are thousands of artists who will want to attend this event. In fact, we’ve already pre-sold 27% of the seats to #FACE17 attendees before we even opened #FACE18 up to the public! Plus, Miami in November is a big draw. This conference represents the best of figurative painting in a unique, modern, and lively format, and it will draw curiosity from a lot of people who have wanted something like this event to occur. We highly recommend booking quickly. Plus, there is a special early-bird price. The price will increase over the coming months, and payment plans are available. See checkout for details.
Tickets will be sold be on a first-come, first-served basis, and once we are sold out, the fire marshal will not allow us to add more people at the venue. Hotel rooms are also limited — a special rate is offered that will be available only through the special conference link provided to registered attendees. You must be registered to hold a hotel room and reserve the special rate for the conference; you will be asked to provide your registration number. Our first Plein Air Convention was the same size, and that event is now attended by close to 1,000 people annually. We believe this convention has the potential to grow just as much in the future.
Our Unique Iron-Clad 100 Percent Money-Back Guarantee
Expect to be totally satisfied with the content of this conference. If not, we will refund 100 percent of your registration fee, plus 100 additional dollars. If, after the first day, you’re not completely thrilled with the content and the event, simply request a refund at our registration desk and we will cheerfully refund 100 percent of your registration, give you an additional $100, and send you on your way to enjoy Miami on your own.
Your Investment in Yourself, Your Career and the Future of Realism
You owe it to yourself to invest in your future, in your career, and in becoming the best you can be. This event will help you fine-tune and hone your skills, improve your taste, and enhance your ability to boost your career. Additionally, you’ll be moving the realism movement forward and playing a role in seeing that it has a strong future for generations to come.
Full Conference Price $1,496
Payment plans available. The sooner you sign up, the lower your per-payment rate.
Note: In the event of sellout, a waiting list will be created. If seats become available, they will be offered based on the date of joining the waiting list.
DIAMOND VIP UPGRADE PRICE
For those who feel they deserve the best possible experience, we’re offering a limited number of VIP memberships. You will become a Diamond Member of the FACE event, giving you special privileges.
As a VIP, you’ll have the following:
- Reserved seating during the convention and courses (courses are an additional fee).
- You’ll receive a special FACE VIP collector’s pin.
- You’ll be invited to the special VIP cocktail reception in the Al Capone Suite with Publisher Eric Rhoads and Editor Peter Trippi to rub elbows with your favorite faculty members.
- You’ll dine with Eric Rhoads and an intimate group of faculty members on one of three nights.
- You’ll dine with Peter Trippi and an intimate group of faculty members on one of three nights.
- You’ll have access to our special DIAMOND VIP break session, with special snacks and goodies.
- You’ll receive a special welcome snack plate in your room along with a complimentary bottle of wine.
- You’ll receive a special preview of the Expo Hall one hour before opening to the crowd.
- You’ll receive a VIP ribbon for your badge.
Special VIP Price (in addition to registration) *$797
* You must be registered and paid in full before you can upgrade to the Diamond Member experience.
We will refund 50% of the registration fee for cancellation on or after August 7, 2018
No refunds on or after September 5, 2018
- Cancellation today – 8/6/18 = 100% Refund, less a $50 processing fee
- Cancellation 8/7/18 – 9/4/18 = 50% Refund, less a $50 processing fee
- Cancellation on or after 9/5/18 = 0% Refund